My Endo Story

My journey with endometriosis officially begins in July 2012. I came around from emergency surgery being told I had endometriosis. I was nearly 26 years old.

I say 'officially' as actually my problems first began when I was 14 years old. At 21, I had my first laporoscopy where I was told no endometriosis was found. A year later, an end stage diagnosis of IBS was given. But I still knew something wasn't right.

This is my story....

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Dealing with Chronic Pain

My pain score today 5          My fatigue score today 5          Cycle Day 8

I have decided to write this blog as a daily dairy in the hope that it helps other women and gives an insight to the condition. I will also post my cycle day and mark my pain and fatigue score out of 10 for that day. This blog does not and is not intended as a replacement for seeking a medical professional.

 I thought I would post today about handling pain. Today is day 8. This is usually a reasonably good day. I didn't have a good night's sleep last night which is why I am feeling tired, but the ovary pain around 12-1am this morning felt like I had a red hot knitting needle being poked through my left ovary and disturbed my sleep.

I currently use a mixture of painkillers, muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories. The pain killers I use are Co-codamol 30/500 mg and Tramadol 50mg. The muscle relaxants are buscopan and baclopen. The anti-inflammatory is usually Mefanemic Acid 500mg.

The best way of combating my endo pain on a bad day is to use an opiate painkiller with a muscle relaxant. I know these medications are not for everyone, but taking them means I can go to work, do the housework etc.

Another way I handle the pain is to have a deep warm bubble bath. I find Radox muscle soak very effective as are epsom salts.

On bad pain days I also use distraction techniques. At night, I listen to my iPod. During the day, I either knit or sew with a hot water bottle on my tummy.

Nothing truly gets rid of the pain, but you can learn how to manage it so that it does not impact your life so much. That being said, some bad pain days I find I am better going to bed and sleeping.  You have to find out what works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment